Fruit cake is exactly the way I like the food I bake: simple and flexible in terms of ingredients. Fruit, nuts and seeds in some sweet cake / bread - that is fall to me. It is also very moist and wild and vegan.
for a small loaf:
You can find ideas for wild ingredients below.
1) Grate the apples / pears finely and, together with the berries, cover them in the liquor Äpfel / Birnen fein reiben und zusammen mit den Beeren in Likör (or juice) for a few hours.
2) Add nuts, seeds, spices, salt and sweetener.
3) Add flour and baking soda - continue to add flour until you reach a very moist but shapeable dough.
4) Shape an ablong loaf.
5) Bake the fruit cake in the preheated oven at 180 °C - with or without a baking mould - until it feels solid from the outside (30 - 45 minutes should do).
6) Leave it to cool on a grid.
The following ingredients are available fresh in fall - this seasonality is part of what makes this fruit cake so special:
It's easy to make your own wild liquor - but it takes a few weeks, three should be sufficient, you can leave it for a few months, too, though. Just pour some alcohol - say rum or vodka - over your wild ingredients (herbs, berries) until their fully covered. Leave for several weeks in a dark, cool place and shake from time to time. You can add your sugar right away or later.